WHO WE ARE
3Scan’s growing team of engineers, biologists and data-scientists is united by intellectual curiosity and the desire to further the progress of biology. The VCs of Silicon Valley call us “hot-pink-haired techno punks,” but we embrace all hair colors. We work hard, and we’re passionate about the potential our technology has to change the future of pathology.
Our labs and offices in the Mission District are in the center of San Francisco’s booming science and tech culture: we hold regular talks on topics ranging from histology to optics to polymer physics. 3Scan holds several patents across a variety of disciplines and has trademarked the term Squishware™.
3Scan’s science is multidisciplinary and results-driven. Our values apply to our work and lives. We encourage our team in their work inside and outside the company, whether they’re publishing articles, building art, or dreaming robots.
Please note that diversity is very important to our culture and environment; we welcome all applicants.
Thank you in advance for your interest in 3Scan. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted.
TEAM: Image Acquisition Software Team
WORKS WITH: Acquisitions Lead, Infrastructure, Operations, Analysis
As a Software Developer you will be part of the Image Acquisition Software Team and will work with the image acquisition lead. This team is responsible for the care, feeding and enhancement of 12 software-controlled tissue-slicing robots. Our robotic microscopes have nanometer-precise positioning stages and high speed cameras, with custom electronics and firmware. They connect to a browser-based control interface, which operators use in the daily generation of terabytes of imaging data. To succeed here, you’ll need curiosity, humility and an open mind. This is a role that can grow with you.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of related experience. You will need some exposure to hardware startups, industrial controls, scientific imaging or distributed systems.
- HTTP & RPC Services
- Hardware device integration
- CNC machine control / industrial automation
- Python 3
- One other programming language
- Experience with industrial or scientific cameras
- IoT experience
- AWS or another IaaS platform
- C# or .NET experience
- Windows system administration
How To Apply
Review of applications will begin mid April and continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes both a cover letter and resume. Send this to AcquisitionDeveloperApplicant@3scan.com with subject line: Acquisition Developer Applicant / [your name]
R&D Hardware Engineer
WORKS WITH: Senior Engineer
As the R&D Hardware engineer, you will help build 3Scan’s next generation of robots to dissect and analyze biological tissue. You will work with experienced design engineers, laboratory scientists, and software developers to prototype new technology that wows potential customers. This includes some paperwork, but mainly hands-on design, building, and testing of mechanical subsystems and controls. You should have a solid foundation of engineering knowledge and an eagerness to hack together results on tight budgets and schedules. Having a generalists’ mindset, you will be able to quickly learn a new field and act on what you learned.
- Work within a cross-disciplinary instrumentation team on diverse design challenges.
- Clearly communicate progress to the team, and be accountable to them for your results.
- Design solutions when requirements are known. When they are not, research and reason what they should be.
- Build, test, hack, repeat.
- Formally document part designs, assembly instructions, and laboratory tests.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and partners.
- Work safely with machine tools, electronics, lasers, and cutting instruments.
- B.S./M.S./PhD in Engineering – Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or related
- Command of the engineering basics: mechanics, electronics, controls, and fluids
- Hands-on experience assembling and testing robotics, instrumentation, or other complicated hardware
- Proficiency at SolidWorks or other 3D CAD software
How to Apply
DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin in late April and continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes both a cover letter and resume. Send this to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: R&D Hardware Engineer/[your name].